Thursday, February 17, 2011

Book #8

Hello blog readers^•^

Sorry this blog is so over due. I've been very busy... reading... Angel. (blog on that next!)

Book #8: The Color Purple
Finished: February 14, 2011

So for school we had to chose a book to read and then write a research paper on. I chose The Color Purple by Alice Walker. We had a list of about 50 books to choose from but I've heard a lot about this book, and I knew it was also turned into a movie so I chose it. I normally don't like movies that were taken from great books, but having such a famous book and movie to work with for my paper I knew that there would be a ton of good sources for it. And I was right. So I had a great book with lots of outside info and a movie to go along with it, but I had no idea show powerful this book was.

The Color Purple summary: This book is about an African American girl named Celie's difficult life during the 1930's and 1940's because of racism. Her father raped her when she was a teenage and she was forced into a marriage with a man who loved her sister. The main portion of the book is about her marriage, the letters from her sister, and how Celie tries to find herself.

My favorite things about the book: This book is very depressing but at the same time very inspirational. The whole theme of the book is finding yourself and standing up for yourself. Celie over comes so much in this book, it's incredible. She finds out her husband, who loves her sister, has been hiding letters from her sister Nettie from her for over 20 years. But she is able to stand up to him and stop him. I loved how all the whole book is written in letters to God and back and forth between Celie and Nettie. I loved how Celie used the other women around her, Shug and Sofia, and uses their strength to find her own. And that really inspired me. Alice Walker wrote all about women rights and racism toward African American women. Over all it was a very sad (I cried during the first few pages) and inspiring read.

Some things I didn't like about the book:  It took place in Georgia during the 1930s, and Celie was uneducated so she wrote the way that they talked. Sometimes it's hard to understand. The only other thing I didn't like about the book was that they didn't us quotation marks. That was hard to read at first but after a while you get used to it.

Rating: I would give The Color Purple 4.2 out of 5 stars

Recommend it?: Yes I would, but it's a heavy read. Mature readers only please.

Disagree or agree with anything I just wrote? Let me know in the comments :). Thanks for reading! Another blog this weekend. Next week is my schools winter break so I'm planning on catching up on my reading then!

8 down, 92 to go (wow I'm so behind)
That's all for now 
Adieu~ Caroline

No comments:

Post a Comment