Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Book #7

Hello blog readers^•^

Book #7: The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Finished: February 7, 2011

There are not a lot of kids at my little school who read, at least not in my grade. I'm a senior. Most of the readers are middle schoolers and freshmen. The  two people who do read in my grade both love the book The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. They're both very indie kids, one boy and one girl, who don't wash their hair and wear vintage clothes. Nothing against them, they're both very nice, but our taste in books don't really match up. But they kept raving about this book. So I read it..

The Perks of Being a Wallflower Summary: It's about a boy, named Charlie, who writes letters to a person he doesn't know (the whole book is in letters) so he can have someone to talk to and vent about his life in his first year of high school. This summary is very short and there is a lot more to the book but it would take to long to explain it all.

Some things I didn't like about the book: When I started this book I didn't like it. At all. It was about a very emotional boy who's best friend killed him self, his favorite aunt died -on his birthday, and who had a pretty messed up family. That's not the part I didn't like. I didn't like how when he made new friends they turned him into a different person, and not in a good way. He started smoking cigarettes and pot, he started drinking, and learned a lot about sex. I didn't like that at all. And it was slow starting and confusing. I didn't get it. Who is he writing to, why is he so messed up, what made him that way. It made no sense. So i kept reading, and about half way though the book when his sister told him she was pregnant I started to like it...

My favorite things about the book: After the whole scene with his sister being pregnant it started to get better, and I started to really like it. One thing that I really liked about this book was how Charlie always spoke his mind. He told Sam he liked her from the start, and whatever else he thought he would say out loud. I also loved all the books and music and tv shows they talked about. Here is a link so you can see for yourself http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Perks_of_Being_a_Wallflower?wasRedirected=true . At the begging of the story I thought that Charlie was going to have a very dysfunctional family, but in they end you could see that they weren't. I really liked that. 

Epilogue: So the epilogue of this book is very important. And I had to read it twice to understand what was going on. So all though out the book Charlie talked about his Aunt Helen who lived with them for a little while after she was molested by her fathers good friend. In his letters charlie always talked about how much he loved and missed his aunt. In the last letter before the epilogue letter Charlie writes how the day before his friend Sam left for college he kissed her. They started to get pretty physical but then Charlie stopped her and had a panic attack. The next letter he says that he's been in the hospital for the last two months, and all he remembers is a dream he had of him and Sam together, only it wasn't really Sam. It was his aunt Helen. In the epilogue we learn that his aunt molested him every Saturday. That's why he was sensitive and emotional, and why he panicked when things with Sam and himself got too heavy. That completely changed the book for me. Wow. I didn't see that one coming. Not at all. Sorry that I gave away the ending but I just had to put that out there.

Rating: I would give The Perks of Being a Wallflower a 4 out of 5 stars

Recommend it?: After I finished the book I felt really depressed and confused and kind of sick. It takes a lot for a book to do that to me, so for that reason alone I would say yes.

Disagree or agree with anything I just wrote? Let me know in the comments :). Thanks for reading! Another blog this weekend!

7 down, 93 to go
That's all for now 
Adieu~ Caroline

No comments:

Post a Comment