Thursday, February 3, 2011

Book #6

Hello blog readers^•^

Book #6: Looking for Alaska
Finished: February 2, 2011

Good morning John it's Thursday. 

If you're a fan of the vlogbrothers (Hank Green and John Green) on YouTube than you will know why I started my blog like that. Anyway I've been a fan, and a nerdfighter, for about a year now. This whole time I've been watching the vlogbrothers videos I've heard John talk about his book Looking for Alaska. I didn't read it right away because my school's librarian, who has read everything, told me she didn't like it- at all. And she knows books, and she knows when they're good and when they're bad. So I put off reading it for a little while, but final curiosity got the best of me and I read it. And let me say, its nothing like I thought it would be...

Looking for Alaska Summary: So this book is about a boy named Miles, later known as Pudge, who leaves Florida to go to a boarding school in alabama for his junior year of high school. At this new school he meets Alaska Young, and she changes his life forever...

My favorite thing about the book: There were a lot of things I like about this book. 1. I like thinking "haha that's such a John Green thing to say". 2. I loved Alaska's love for books, and the book and poetry references they used. 3. For the first half of the book they are counting down to something. And I being curious and having no self control looked ahead to see what they were counting down to. I couldn't figure it out. I skimmed and skimmed and skimmed, until I finally gave up and just read. Wow I didn't see this coming. I thought they were counting down to Alaska leaving, and then having Pudge go "looking for her". But no. They were counting down to Alaska's death. Did not see that coming. Congrats John, it takes a lot to pull something over my head like that. 4. I loved Alaska complicated, secret filled life. 5. I loved Pudge's essay at the end and how he figured the way out of the labyrinth.

Some things I didn't like about the book: I didn't like the huge drug, sex, and alcohol uses in the book. The one thing I didn't like about Alaska was her obsession with sex. And there was this one part in the book with Pudge and a girl named Lara that was very discussion and not needed. I mean really John? Why write that into your book, all it did was turn it from a PG-13 book to an R rated book. I can't even write about it here, i feel so dirty. But oh well, what can I do?

Rating: I would give Looking for Alaska 3 out of 5 stars

Recommend it?: Yes I would, to some.. Mature readers.. It really is a good story.

Disagree or agree with anything I just wrote? Let me know in the comments :). Thanks for reading! Another blog in about two days.

6 down, 94 to go
That's all for now 
Adieu~ Caroline

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I found your blog because I was looking for books to read (im trying to read 30 books this year which is ambitious for my lifestyle). I just thought it was funny because i finished reading this book last night. I loved it, but i read it was i was overtired and so i cried like the entire second half. I agree with alot of your points : Ciao

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thanks for following! :)
    I think 30 books is a great goal, any reading at all is a great goal. And I cried the second half as well. It's very easy for a book to make cry, and having someone die doesn't help. Good luck with your goal!

    ReplyDelete